Charles Emodt Christensen

Informasjonen om registrerte krigsseilere er ikke nødvendigvis fullstendig. Eksempelvis vil mønstringer og utmerkelser for enkelte sjøfolk bli registrert senere, ettersom nye kilder blir gjennomgått.


16. februar 1892


Alminnelig forlis


Skibsfører Christen Christensen & Tomine f.Pedersen






Norge flaggNorge


Risør rode 35,Tangen

Relasjon til fylke


Tilknyttet mønstringsdistrikt

Har stillinger



  • Deltok i 1. verdenskrig
  • Innført i rullen med 9 måneder og 20 dagers fartstid efter fylte 15 aar.

    Fikk styrmandcertifikat seil 02.03.1912,for damp 19.03.1915 og Skibsførercertifikat 30.06.1919.

    Orlogstjeneste 02.04.1914 til 09.08.1915.

    Påmønstret 2 styrmann D/S AXTEE i New York 12.97.1921, avmønstret i New York 06.09.1922.

    Påmønstret 2 styrmann på M/S M/S GRACE N. PENDLETON i New York 02.03.1923.
    Omkom da denne forliste i Hamburgbukten 15.11.1923.

    Her er historien om Grace N. Pendleton hentet fra ( out of gloucester). 

    Odber Pothier, who has just returned home as one of the two surviving members of the crew of the ill-fated motor ship GRACE N PEDLETON, in which his father, Capt. Forman L. Pothier, of this city, lost his life, tells of an experience that cannot soon be forgotten.  He says that they left Hamburg, bound for Rotterdam, Holland, in the schooner PEDLETON, which had a 5000 ton capacity, but was then carrying ballast.  At 9 o'clock at night, on November 15, they collided with a steamer, probably a German freighter, although the fog was so thick that it was impossible to even see what became of it.  He believes the freighter must have sunk immediately after the collision.

    The PEDLETON determined that it was not badly damaged and cruised around for a while looking for the freighter, but after a fruitless search, put back for Cuxhaven, which is the shelter harbor at the mouth of the Elbe.   When they were 1 miles off shores the wind hauled around as they tried to make the narrow channel, and after much tacking it was found that the vessel was unmanageable as she had shipped too much water in the fore peak.  Unable to make further progress they dropped anchor and in the meantime burned distress signals, which they are certain were seen and reported, but no vessel came to their aid.

    It was impossible to launch a life boat.  At about 3 o'clock in the morning the vessel commenced to strike and the crew were kept busy manning the pumps.   

    Pothier says that the vessel was striking so hard that all the dishes in the cabin were broken but she remained afloat for over twelve hours, during which time the crew took life belts and lashings and were ordered into the rigging.  The PEDLETON finally sank in about 19 feet of water after the ship's bottom had split and the craft laid over on its starboard side.  Although all the crew were in the rigging, the rough sea had by nightfall washed overboard all the crew except young Pothier and the cook. Pothier said that the cook had to pull him back to the rigging three times.  During the night the wind abated.